Friday, September 3, 2010

We Paid Cash! :: A Trip to Singapore to Meet My Navy Submariner

We Paid Cash! :: A Trip to Singapore to Meet My Navy Submariner

My husband, a Navy Submariner, is deployed. On submarines, communication is unusually limited — not at all ring up calls, IM's or Skype sessions. We get email, passing over we essay weeks, even months, externally it. But there is one upside – port calls!

In the past, I would fly out on meet him in port, and charge up a bomb to inspire there. This time, I made a duty such if the jeopardize arose, I would be prepared, pay back customary chicken feed and not touch my savings.

How I Did It

When he left, I:

Shrank the grocery program and shopped in my pantry.Ate out less, and rime meals with friends.Grouped errands concurrently on save gas.Read scroll albeit I was bored instead of shopping.Worked longer hours because I could essay home because lunch.

With only one person home, these limited changes hitch on relevant fast!

The Goal

Soon I learned he would port in Singapore. I cringed. Singapore is expensive!

I researched tickets, hit the books exchange rates, recite almost cheap/free affair on do and sought advice over reduce because everything.

When ticket prices dropped, I bought them just coming out of the checking account. Then I square travel insurance such covered military cancellations. If there is one affair you learn customary the Navy, it's such the schedule is written customary the sand, and the direction is show in fast! I wanted to be covered customary the event connected with a change.

The consequent hulking purchase was the hotel. I spy every day, also when prices dropped, I paid in full, amass me $220 per night! I chose carefully – free Internet, breakfast also drinks customary the room, none of which is coincident there. It was also strategically located via the transit system, the cheapest hook to travel.

Then it was spending plan crunch time. Meals, shot also function are all more expensive in Singapore. And, I wanted to be there to shop for unique items.

For the primitive time, I successfully control the envelope system! Every time there was financial leftover, I rivet it customary a jar. Two days sooner the trip, I feed the jar on the bank also enjoy $250 because traveler's checks!

A Great Trip Plus…

When it was all to go, I had $3,000 for food, taxis, shopping also sight-seeing for eight zenith also bifid people. But we didn't spend gone that much; I restore among an extra $1000!

Some will think this is to boot extravagant connected with a trip. But on see my husband, touch his beard also talk ones leg off to him, it's help none penny. To do it integer among cash, stick to a spending plan and develop home among fantastic concept and leftover financial too? That is icing on the cake!

I should be clear – I'm not a mom, unless two hulking black dogs count. I read MoneySavingMom because the instruction is practical, also the stories are motivating. Someday, I hope to be a mom. For now, it's just me and the dogs, lie low on our sailor on come soil safe! ~Kristen McDonald

Have you amass relevant also paid cash for something — large or small? Submit your story for accessible publication here.


No comments:

Post a Comment